My Blog List

Friday, June 9, 2017

THE JUNE GARDEN

One thing that always surprises me, and more so this year because we had such an early spring, is how much is still blooming in the June garden. Our recents rains have probably helped extend the life of some plants, like the California poppies, which make a great companion for the Bee Balm, Peter's purple.


And when I thought the white one on the edge of the pool looked ready to pack it in for the year it decided to bloom again. Admittedly not quite as perfect and the flowers are smaller, but it still has a few days of bloom left before I cut it back.


This nameless day lily, a plant rescue, is the last of the day lilies to bloom. A parsley plant, going to seed, adds a fine backdrop.


The sunken garden is due for a big tidy, which involves cutting back the skullcaps, chocolate daisies, and blanket flowers to keep them blooming.


The same applies to the gaura which seems want to take over.


I have struggled to grow cleome in the past but this year seems to be the year for it to do well. I wish I had bought more than just the one.


I am thrilled with the hanging basket that I purchased this year. It was in a smaller basket and when the wind knocked to the ground breaking one of the plastic hangers, I was forced to repot it in a larger basket, in which I used baby diapers line the bottom! I pruned it back and it has now made up for lost time.


It hangs outside the kitchen window where I can admire it.


 In the front garden now that the spring bloomers have faded, there is just the odd pop of color from a flowering cactus.


Or the peach brugmansia which opened up a whole new display of flowers today.


What a show!


For a little respite from all this color I just have to take a walk outside the gate. There everything is green and serene.


14 comments:

  1. Your garden looks glorious, Jenny! I love that Monarda. The daylily looks like the one I inherited with my own garden, which someone told me is probably 'Sammy Russell'. Coincidentally, the very first of those blooms opened in my garden just today. I'm not sure I recall seeing your front gate before, at least not from this angle - it's wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might be right Kris. I checked out a load of pictures and from now on I have a name, 'Sammy Russell'

      Delete
  2. The brugmansia is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just. A cutting from Lori. David might not be too happy about having to move this new pot to the garage this winter!

      Delete
  3. I think yours is one of the prettiest gardens I've ever seen in Texas, and for the month of June, it's spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think we have to thank mother nature for doing all that reseeding. Couldn't do it without her.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I love that monarda/poppy combination, WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A chance combination but it does work well. I shall have to think about making sure it happens again next year.

      Delete
  5. Yowza...our bloom season is going strong, in spite of 90 days without soaking rain and some heat. The gauras going wild is what I expect them to do there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That gaura!!!! It just seeds all over the place but I haven't a heart to pull it out.

      Delete
  6. June has been kind here too. It's so nice to catch a break now and then! That view outside the gate might be my fav, just spectacular. Makes me want to hang a hammock in that tree, and sway and read all day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always have so much going on in your garden.
    Beautifully amazing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. The secret is keeping the deer out of the garden.

      Delete
  8. Thanks Nic. The result of a lot of hours spent out there.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.