My Blog List

Sunday, August 13, 2017

OOPS!

I had a plan. I was going to give up my Saturday morning in the garden and go to the a class on plastering at Tree House. David thought I was crazy but I told him I would like to learn a little more about technique of plastering so I could do some repair work on our plastered walls.


There were only 4 people there when I arrived and while I was helping myself to a cup of coffee someone came over to check me in! She didn't see my name on the list and had I signed up. "Oh!" I said with surprise, " I didn't know I needed to sign up." It turned out this was a fee class and the class was full. How come I hadn't seen that on the notice I got from them on Facebook? I drank my coffee and went to have a wander around the store.
We are so lucky to have a store like this in Austin. I just wish I was about 50 years younger. How many times have I said that? You can read all about the the Tree House story here.


I doubt there is not a single thing in the store that you wouldn't wish you had in your home. From the solar panels, on demand water heaters, insulation, VOC free paints, gorgeous wool carpets, stone flooring, tiles, kitchen cabinets, lighting, water purification systems, composting systems, plus all kinds of items to make living more healthy. And of course the plastered walls.
In the garden section they have a huge display of water collection systems.



As well as organic seeds, soils, pots and plants.




Bird, butterfly and bat houses of all kinds.



Kits for starting you own bee hives,


I must have spent over an hour there just walking around looking at everything they had. The morning was not lost after all. I left with grand ideas about replacing our current water collection tanks for one of those real ones. New carpet? It is about time. Bees? How I would love to have my own honey. And solar power? Like I said I wish I was 50 years younger.

Tree House is Located at 4477 South Lamar Blvd #600, close to Central Market. If you have never been they would love to have you visit.

9 comments:

  1. SO much temptation! By the way, this fall we've got a program dedicated to starting beehives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be an interesting program to watch just to see what is involved. It would be wonderful to have a beehive but I'm afraid I will just have to make do with bee houses these days.

      Delete
  2. We need something like this in SoCal! And I regularly wish I was a few decades younger - or at least that my body was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was talking to one of the associates and he told me it was the first of its kind I mentioned California feeling sure there would be a store like this. He said not. Tree house has an on line store and are opening a new store in Dallas.

      Delete
  3. What an incredible resource. And, Jenny, don't forget Ruth Bancroft is still going at 109 and didn't start her garden until she was 60!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a great store and less than 5 blocks from my house! Yes, I wish it had been around many years ago when my husband & I did remodel projects. It was so hard to find earth friendly products then. My daughter in law recently bought a rain water tank from them. The staff was so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you to have both those stores close by. I love both of them.

      Delete
  5. It looks like a fantastic store. As for wishing you were younger, why do you need to be younger to enjoy the benefits of solar, etc? Even a year with it (and you'd get plenty more than that!!!) would be a fine adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all has to do with the cost. Afraid it is not in our budget these days. I just wish those costs would come down so that we could all have it.

      Delete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.