My Blog List

Saturday, February 24, 2018

50 YEARS AGO TODAY, I HAD TWO WORDS TO SAY


David and I were married at St David's church, Austin, on the afternoon of February 24th 1968. It was the most glorious winter day with bright sunshine and warm temperatures.



But why did we marry so far away from our home in England?

In the summer of 1967 David was offered a place to do a Masters degree in Chemical Engineering at the University of Texas, Austin. We had become engaged that year and the plan was for him to do his Masters and return to the England for our marriage.

Sometime in late September I decided I was going to join him. I can't remember now if I even asked him. A friend and I took the day off work to visit the American Consulate in Liverpool, where I learnt that in order to work I would have to apply for a green card and this must be done through the embassy in London. I began the snail mail process. Always another letter asking for this, that and the other. My finances, my education, references from my work etc. And then at the beginning of February a letter came inviting me for an interview, two days hence, at the American Embassy in Grosvenor Square, London.

I travelled down on the train with no idea of where I was going to stay. I remember walking out of Euston station and asking a policeman if there was a hotel close by where I could stay. Policemen were a good source for everything in those days. He pointed down a street where I saw a sign in the window 18/- Less than a pound a night. The mind boggles. It was a pretty awful place and I don't think I slept all night, partly for safety reasons and partly because I was terrified of oversleeping. A taxi took me to Grosvenor Square where I spent the whole day. Endless interviews, medicals including chest x rays and tests for syphilis! But at the end of the day I left with my green card, my  documents of immigration and my chest Xray. I was on my way to America.

I handed in my 2 weeks notice at work and headed home to spend a few days with my parents. David was busy making preparations in Austin. He moved into an apartment, the Braeburn, on Speedway, and regaled me with stories of swimming pool and laundry room! I went shopping for my wedding outfit. A white lace dress and coat and one of those, silly to me now, hats made of white petals. And the 'going away outfit' although I didn't think I was going away anywhere after the wedding. I bought my ticket for February 19th. I had never flown before.

On that Monday morning Manchester airport was fogged in and they scrambled to get me on a different flight to the US. PanAm to Chicago, Chicago-Dallas and Dallas-Austin. I arrived at 9pm to David waiting for me at the airport. I wonder how he knew about the change of plans or did I manage to get the same Dallas to Austin flight.

 Someone today might ask why we got married such a rush. After all we could have just lived together and returned to England to be married with our families. All I can say is things were quite different in the 60s.

The next few days were taken up with preparations. Fortunately, The International Society of Austin had assigned a Mrs Betty Kemp to help David with his transition to life in Texas. She was an enormous help, offering to have the reception at her house and helping with all the other arrangements; church, license, blood tests, flowers, caterers. Fortunately my father had given me some money to make sure we had a nice wedding. Can you imagine doing all that in 4 days?

Her husband was to give me away and her daughter, Donna, was to be my bridesmaid. One slightly different custom was the bridesmaid walking down the aisle in front of the bride.

Mr Kemp

Donna Kemp

I spent the night before the wedding at their lovely house on Windsor Drive. I recall being exceedingly impressed that Mrs Kemp served these warm rolls for breakfast. Had she rushed out to the bakery to buy them? They were Pepperidge farm. We had never heard of such a thing in England.

We were a small group and I didn't know anyone save for the Kemps. David had met several international students, rooming for a couple of months with 2 of them, and they all came to our wedding, most with their American girlfriends. He invited Dick Oliver, an Architecture professor at UT, whom he had met on the rowing team at Pembroke College, Cambridge, to be his best man.


Everything went off smoothy and in no time we were married and heading off to the Littlefield Fountain, on campus, for photos and then back to the Kemps.



I'm not sure I ate anything at the reception although it was a wonderful spread. (I doubt I even knew where I was with all that had gone on in the last 6 days). Mrs Kemp had taken along her vases and bowls to the florists and indicated the colors of the rooms so that the flowers would match! When it came to the cake I had been quite surprised by its low cost and was to discover why when we cut into it. It was a sponge cake. In England the wedding cake was always a fruit cake with marzipan and icing. Usually with 3 tiers and, by tradition, the top tier saved for the christening. If you have ever looked at old census records the first baby usually arrived within a year and sometimes quite a bit sooner. I wasn't going to be putting little pieces in boxes to send to people back in England who couldn't make the wedding. Another English tradition.
Someone had provided a little guest book and there were little bags of rice to throw. Another different custom.


And then we all went outside for a group photograph after which we headed off in a guest's red triumph spitfire. It was his wedding present lent us for the weekend. I keep asking myself why were there no photos of the reception and that car. The following day we headed out in glorious sunshine for our honeymoon visit to Hamilton Pool. It was privately owned at the time. We saw our first armadillo and have a grainy image of it disappearing into the bushes-but no picture of Hamilton Pool! Since then there have been many photos as we return there year after year on the 25th. This year will be no different.

Sadly the Kemps are all gone including their daughter Donna who was killed in a car accident. We attended Mr Kemp's funeral some years ago. The best man died in his 40s. It seems all the more poignant that we are back here in Austin to celebrate this special day and remember each and everyone who shared that day with us.

And the rest, as they say, is history. We never went back to England, David took a job in Canada where we lived for 12 years before a transfer back into the US in 1981. Then in 1994 back to Austin. My Longhorn was delighted. It is the longest place we have ever lived and I think we will stay.

I thought I would add a photo of my maternal grandparents' wedding at the beginning of WW1 and my parents' wedding who married during WW2, just for comparison. They celebrated their Golden Weddings in 1964 and 1991 respectively.



Happy Anniversary to the man I have been fortunate to share my life with for so many years.

26 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!! You both looks so happy in the photos despite the whirlwind rush and being without your families. What a lovely tradition that you keep returning to your honeymoon site! I love seeing your grandparents' and parents' photos, too, and the difference in fashions. How wonderful to have such a long marriage, and here's to many more happy years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary and congratulations on 50 years! What a lovely story you two have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your wedding with us. What a lovely story. Congratulations on 50 marvelous and adventurous years. xogail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary!!

    How can it be so many years, when we’re all so young? 😄

    That is such an interesting beginning. I’m glad you returned to Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary, Jenny! Nice to hear the history of your wedding and how you came to Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this lovely post which brought tears to my eyes! I appreciated finding out how and why you two live in the US and Austin, where I was attending the university in the late 1960's. The photographs of your parents' and grandparents' weddings are treasures! Thank you also for your gardening stories, which continually inspire me as I try to garden near Laredo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary, Jenny and David! What a wonderful story y'all have lived!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading this. My mother is English and I've always loved learning about the differences in our cultures. My mom came over to the states in the 50s. She married my dad (an American) in 1958 in Los Angeles. When my husband & I married, we were instructed to freeze the top section of our wedding cake to have on our 1st anniversary. I never knew the origins of that tradition. When the day came, we took the cake out of the freezer but it was inedible. Happy anniversary & thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy anniversary to you both, Jenny! What a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy anniversary to you both. I really enjoyed reading the story of how you came over here and were married. I was surprised, at first, to hear you had been married over here. I always assumed you married in England and then moved over here. What wonderful memories you have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, and a very nice memory shared with us! I love the generations of photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary! What a happy story with some interesting memories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary! Thank you for sharing your story. I think you were quite brave, but then being young and in love takes one far.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy 50th! I think it was courageous of you to make your way through the red tape to join your beloved in Austin like that. You managed to arrange a lovely and memorable wedding and I envy you the photos in particular. My husband and I celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary just last week (although we'd been together for years beforehand). Our wedding was a mundane affair. We were married by a local traffic court judge and told none of our family about it until we were on the road for an inexpensive - and brief - honeymoon. My husband was in grad school at the time too, just finishing up as I was preparing to begin my own program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to find that someone else had a wedding with a difference. It is only lately that I began to think about denying my parents a wedding, but on the other hand my mother was due to join my father in Rhodesia, during the war, where they were training pilots and but for the torpedo problem with the convoys she would have gone. I think they were all right with it and said I must lead my own life.

      Delete
  15. Happy Anniversary Jenny & David! Such a lovely story and photos - what an adventure! You look so mod in the short white dress - now the gowns have plenty of skirt but barely any top. Wishing you many more happy years together and yay for Hamilton Pool!
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was a great read mom. Funny how things move in circles. I believe your speedway apartment was the same one nick and I stayed In during the summer of 1994. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a whirlwind and yet in the photos you look calm, happy, confident in your shared futures. You and David (both!) chose so well. Thank you for sharing your adventures and photos and may you have many more happy trips to Hamilton Pool yet to come!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Anniversary, Jenny and David! And may you have many, many more! Thank you for sharing your lovely story. It was a pleasure to read your interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Anniversary and congratulations on 50 years! Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. Here's to many more years of happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved reading the story of your wedding, Jenny, and it's so sweet to hear that you return to Hamilton Pool each year to celebrate. What a romantic couple! Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Anniversary. You've woven such a romantic tale of your courtship and wedding. I know some of the story from our talks over the years, and now it's so special to see your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations! Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is the most wonderful story and romance in all time! I'm so honored to know you both! Hugs to you both such an adventurous, lovable, and gracious couple who inspire all you meet.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is absolutely the most wonderful, romantic story. Thank you for sharing with us, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.